LAO PDR

Land of a Million Elephants


LAO MAP





LAOS MAP

 
 























 










laotourism.org

SABAIDEE

Home  
About US   NEWSPAPERS                    






  You are here : Home » City/Resort » Savannakhet Province








Destination: Savannakhet Province








General Information





Located     
: In central part of the country


Total Area
: 21,774 square meters


Population
: 850,000


15 Districts
: Khanthabuly, Outhoumphone, Atsaphangthong, Phine, Sepone, Nong, Thapangthong, Songkhone, Champhone, Xonbuly, Xaybuly, Vilabuly, Atsaphone, Xayphouthong and Thaphalanxay


Capital
: Khanthabuly






Fine French architecture bears testimony to the importance of Savannakhet during the colonial era. The name Savannakhet means “The land of Fertility Suitable for Agriculture”

There are 11 ethnic minorities include Lowland Lao, Phouthai, Thai Dam, Katang, Mongkong, Vali, Lava, Soui, Kapo, kaleung and Ta-oi




Wat Inghang Temple
Wat Inghang Temple was built during the reign Sikhottabong of King Sumitatham about 2,000 years ago and is meant to mark the place where Lord Buddha rested while visiting the Kingdom of Sikhottabong. Rebuilt in 1548 by King Saysethathirath, the temple is located at Ban Thad Village on Route 9 between Savannakhet-Seno at Km 12 turns right about 3 kilometers. Festive rites are held annually and organized to coincide with the first full moon of the lunar  calendar



Wat Xayaphoum Temple
Located at Ban Xayaphoum Village on the bank of the Mrkong River, Wat Xayaphom was built in 1542, the same period of Ban Thahir or Nakham. It is the center of the local Buddhist people with arts and architecture dating from the original Savannakhet. Festive ceremonies are held for Pimai Lao and the Boat Racing Festival




Ho Tay Pidok Library
These library houses a collection of 200-year-old palm leaves manuscripts written in the ancient Kham-Pali and Lao alphabets. It is located in Ban Nonglamchan Village, Champhone District




Heuan Hin or Stone House
It is a shrine built by the ancient Khmer to the glory of their “Sikhottabong” empire. The stone House is located in Ban Dongdokmay, 15 kilometers from Xayphouthong District or 66 kilometers from Khanthabuly, the provincial capital




That Phon Stupa
It is also another important religious figure found in the Province. Constructed between the year 557 to 700, festive rites are held annually and are organized in the first full moon of the lunar calendar to pay respects to Phra Shiva and other Hindu Gods



Dinosaur Fossils
Fossilized dinosaur bones were discovered at Ban Tangvay Village, Xonbuly District in 1930. They are now housed in the Dinosaur Exhibition Hall in Khanthabuly, the provincial capital




Route 9, GMS East-West Economic Corridor
Part of the Ho Chi Minh trail and remnants of American tanks and warplanes can also be visited in Phin District on Route 9, close to the Lao Bao border checkpoint with Vientiane about 250 kilometers



















 
Contact information : Lao Tourism Organization.
Address :                  Sethathirat Road, Sisaket Village, Chanthaboury District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Telephone :               +856 21 250791
E-mail :                     lto@laotourism.org
Website :                   http://www.laotourism.org